Hi There!

Welcome to my blog! This space has been used over the past several years to document mainly my natural hair journey and several different aspects of my life such as spiritual matters, my jewelry design, and parenting. I will from time to time post on this blog but my newly revamped blog can be found at BeautifullyCurled.com. Here you will find much recent updates about my hair journey along with my daughter's and so much more. Hope you will come by and visit and thanks for stopping by this blog. Be blessed. -Kris

My Upcoming 6 Month Hair Challenge

Visit link for more comparison pictures from this challenge: Results of 1 Year Challenge

After seeing the amazing results of wearing wigs and protecting my natural hair for an entire year, I knew I had to continue with protective styling to help retain at least 3 more inches over the next 6 months starting next month. I have been tweaking the details of my next protective styling challenge, going back and forth between wearing wigs strictly the entire time or incorporating some other protective styles in addition to wearing wigs.

To be honest, it is hard for me to wrap my mind around wearing wigs for another 6 months. I mean, I just completed almost a year of wearing them! I kind of want to wear my natural hair out from under the wig some more especially since I have been ENJOYING my twists and buns lately.  I am TOTALLY feeling the bun:


So with that said, here are the terms of my upcoming challenge so far:
  • 6 month protective styling challenge (May 1 - November 1, 2011).
  • Must keep ends protected at least 5 days a week through wearing buns, wigs, and tuck and roll styles (have not tried any yet but am curious). This excludes the very front section of my hair.
  • Can wear ends out twice a week (loose twists, twist outs only).
  • Must keep hair stretched using box braids (under the wigs) or twists. Helps with reducing unnecessary knots and tangles.
  • MUST re-moisturize and seal front section of hair every night.
  • Re-moisturize hair with water, conditioner, and leave-in mid-week every week.
  • Twists can be left in 2 weeks max at a time. Must wash, condition, and detangle hair after 2 week period.
  • Box braids can be left in 1 week max. Must wash, condition, and detangle hair at the end of the week.
  • Clarify hair every 4-6 weeks.
  • Deep condition at least once every month.
  • NO HEAT ALLOWED!
  • Allowed one trim of no more than 0.5 inches.
  • Must wear satin bonnet to bed every night (of course!).
  • No elastic bands or bobby pins for buns. Just the banana clip and Goody spin pins.
  • Take pictures at the beginning of each month for comparison pictures at the end of the challenge. Make sure to use length check t-shirt, too!
These are the terms so far. They might change as the time gets closer to start the challenge. If you have any suggestions, questions, and/or concerns, please do let me know! I think it would be good for me to be a little more flexible with this next challenge so I do not get burned out especially after completing the previous one.

My tip is that you don't have to wait for someone to create a challenge for you to join! Start your own challenge today on your own terms that will work best for you and your hair goals.

I hope this example of my protective styling challenge helps motivate you to consider your own challenge especially if you would like to give your tresses an extended break. If you would like to join me on my challenge, feel free to do so!  We can help keep each other encouraged along the way. :) 

Are you currently on a challenge(s) or thinking about doing your own challenge(s)? I would love to hear about them!

Thanks for reading and as usual...

BE.YOU.Always!

5 comments:

  1. Hey! Hope all is well. I like this challenge!
    Why don't you use elastic bands and bobby pins?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love loooooooove your blog! Keep up the great work! =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Anonymous

    I prefer not to use elastic bands because I don't want to add any extra tension on my hair by using them. I have a tendency to wrap my elastic bands a little tight so to eliminate that, I plan on using the banana clips, which also help create fuller buns. Plus the ouchless elastic bands have this plastic piece where the two ends are connected that my hair gets caught in sometimes. I don't like when that happens.

    As far as the bobby pins goes, sometimes the plastic protector balls at the tips of the bobby pins manage to get caught in my hair and snags my hair sometimes as I remove the bobby pins. It might just be the brand I am using (Conair, I believe). I prefer the Goody spin pins because they can secure my bun much better with less pins.

    Thanks for the questions and for visiting! :)

    @Viva

    Thanks hun!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey girl! I'm currently doing a 3 in 6 Challenge (3" in 6 months), that's fairly similar. Protective styles with twists or braids are a mandate, and there's a no trimming rule along with some others. It's over at the beginning of July, so I'm anxious to see how well I do. It's also good because it's going to let me see what my growth rate is like, since I'll have real measurements to track from the start to the finish.

    Anyway, a lot of the rules for your challenge are right in line with what I do to care for my hair, anyway, so I'm with you in spirit. I'm probably going to skip wigs for now since it's already pretty hot here in L.A., but I'm looking forward to using them again in the cooler months. BTW, I'm about APL in my longest layers now, and I'd like to be fullish BSB (with good ends) by the end of the year. Let us know how you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great challenge. I have recently decided to wear wigs for the rest of the year, maybe a little longer. I have been wearing wigs non stop for about a month now, I hope that my success is as great as yours. I'm new to following your blog. It is very insightful.

    ReplyDelete