|Visit link for more comparison pictures from this challenge: Results of 1 Year Challenge|
After seeing the amazing results of wearing wigs and protecting my natural hair for an entire year, I knew I had to continue with protective styling to help retain at least 3 more inches over the next 6 months starting next month. I have been tweaking the details of my next protective styling challenge, going back and forth between wearing wigs strictly the entire time or incorporating some other protective styles in addition to wearing wigs.
To be honest, it is hard for me to wrap my mind around wearing wigs for another 6 months. I mean, I just completed almost a year of wearing them! I kind of want to wear my natural hair out from under the wig some more especially since I have been ENJOYING my twists and buns lately. I am TOTALLY feeling the bun:
So with that said, here are the terms of my upcoming challenge so far:
- 6 month protective styling challenge (May 1 - November 1, 2011).
- Must keep ends protected at least 5 days a week through wearing buns, wigs, and tuck and roll styles (have not tried any yet but am curious). This excludes the very front section of my hair.
- Can wear ends out twice a week (loose twists, twist outs only).
- Must keep hair stretched using box braids (under the wigs) or twists. Helps with reducing unnecessary knots and tangles.
- MUST re-moisturize and seal front section of hair every night.
- Re-moisturize hair with water, conditioner, and leave-in mid-week every week.
- Twists can be left in 2 weeks max at a time. Must wash, condition, and detangle hair after 2 week period.
- Box braids can be left in 1 week max. Must wash, condition, and detangle hair at the end of the week.
- Clarify hair every 4-6 weeks.
- Deep condition at least once every month.
- NO HEAT ALLOWED!
- Allowed one trim of no more than 0.5 inches.
- Must wear satin bonnet to bed every night (of course!).
- No elastic bands or bobby pins for buns. Just the banana clip and Goody spin pins.
- Take pictures at the beginning of each month for comparison pictures at the end of the challenge. Make sure to use length check t-shirt, too!
My tip is that you don't have to wait for someone to create a challenge for you to join! Start your own challenge today on your own terms that will work best for you and your hair goals.
I hope this example of my protective styling challenge helps motivate you to consider your own challenge especially if you would like to give your tresses an extended break. If you would like to join me on my challenge, feel free to do so! We can help keep each other encouraged along the way. :)
Are you currently on a challenge(s) or thinking about doing your own challenge(s)? I would love to hear about them!
Thanks for reading and as usual...