Hi There!

Welcome to my blog! This space has been used over the past several years to document mainly my natural hair journey and several different aspects of my life such as spiritual matters, my jewelry design, and parenting. I will from time to time post on this blog but my newly revamped blog can be found at BeautifullyCurled.com. Here you will find much recent updates about my hair journey along with my daughter's and so much more. Hope you will come by and visit and thanks for stopping by this blog. Be blessed. -Kris

Heat Damaged Hair Versus Healthy Hair

Now that I have been on my healthy hair journey for a little over a year and an half, it is amazing to see the difference between my healthy growth and the portion of my hair that has been heat damaged over the past several years:

Big difference, huh?
After looking at this picture, I pretty much feel like I am transitioning all over again but this time from bad hair habits to healthy hair habits.  My healthy roots are so thick and the curl pattern is much tighter than the pattern of the damaged sections of my hair. 

So how long do I perceive it will REALLY take to grow out my hair out to thick and healthy waist length?

Showing the chunky portion on my twist.

Although I am a couple inches past mid-back length, I believe it will take me at least 2.5-3 years to really achieve my natural hair density at WL.  I would say that is about 15-18 inches of healthy new growth.  I am very hesitant about using any heat anytime soon because I haven't really researched enough on how to properly apply heat to my hair without risking irreparable damage.  I guess within the proposed time frame, I should have plenty of time to figure out and learn the proper technique of flat ironing my natural hair.  As for now, I am trying to get to waist length with the heat damaged hair intact as long as I keep up with my protective styling.  Once I get to waist length, I will enter into maintenance mode which I plan on trimming at least an inch of my hair every 3 months to slowly chop away the damaged hair.  I will explain my maintenance plan in a later post.

A little over 1 year of new growth. Approximately 6-7 inches stretched.
I am not sure if I have heat damaged hair throughout my head but it still stands to say that for my entire head of hair, the first 6-7 inches of hair are the healthiest parts of my hair. Thankfully, I do not have a lot of split ends and SSKs even though I have not trimmed my hair since last August (which was only 0.5 inches). So protective styling has been great in helping me retain the health of my ends after all these months post trim.

In the future, I will track the progress of my healthy new growth by doing comparisons against the pictures above.  I predict that by the end of the 6 month protective styling challenge, I will have grown 3 more inches of thick healthy new growth. :-)


My questions to you are:

  • Have you experienced any heat damage of any kind?
  • What are you doing to combat that? Protein treatments? Protective styling? Chopping damaged ends?
  • Any tips on properly applying heat to hair?
  • Do you have a favorite heat protectant?

Thanks for reading and following my journey!

Take care and BE.YOU.Always!

1 comment:

  1. My hair has been natural, no heat for 11 years. My agent asked me to blow dry straight for an audition. I kept it straight for 3 weeks and that's all she wrote. My hair is weak, breaks easily, sheds far too much and has lost its curl on the end. I am pretty bummed about it, but am also hoping that with good habits I can turn it around!

    ReplyDelete