Hi There!

Welcome to my blog! This space has been used over the past several years to document mainly my natural hair journey and several different aspects of my life such as spiritual matters, my jewelry design, and parenting. I will from time to time post on this blog but my newly revamped blog can be found at BeautifullyCurled.com. Here you will find much recent updates about my hair journey along with my daughter's and so much more. Hope you will come by and visit and thanks for stopping by this blog. Be blessed. -Kris

My Whipped Shea Butter Experience


Earlier this week, I made some whipped shea butter (will post the deets soon) and wanted to see how effective it would be on sealing moisture inside my hair.  I knew I was going to clarify my hair this week so thought it would be a perfect time to go ahead and test the shea butter on my hair. Since the whipped recipe contained all the oils I normally used on my hair when I make my leave-in, I figured the addition of shea butter would provide extra sealing capabilities and hold moisture in longer.  I must admit, it does keep moisture in a little longer than just using my leave-in recipe. HOWEVER, I do NOT like the heaviness of the shea butter on my hair even in its whipped state. I drenched my braids in water and applied the whipped shea butter over my damp hair.  Once I was done, my hair felt weighed down and heavy. Maybe I could have used a little less on each section  but with the addition of all the other oils in the recipe, I just felt greasy.  I was not comfortable with the idea of having greasy weighed down hair underneath my wig. So I only did one application of the whipped shea butter on my hair before deciding to go ahead and clarify my hair last night (I was glad!).


My conclusion: The whipped shea butter might be better for stretching out the hair for stretched hairstyles. I might try it again for that particular purpose but until I do, I will be using for the skin for now. It makes my skin and Z's silky smooth! :)

1 comment:

  1. Why dont you try silica powder and rice powder, it supposed to help with the glide and reduce oily-ness? pearl white micah poeder powder is suppose to help with the luster also. Look at this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRXMJSpiYUs

    hth!

    ReplyDelete