Hi There!

Welcome to my blog! This space has been used over the past several years to document mainly my natural hair journey and several different aspects of my life such as spiritual matters, my jewelry design, and parenting. I will from time to time post on this blog but my newly revamped blog can be found at BeautifullyCurled.com. Here you will find much recent updates about my hair journey along with my daughter's and so much more. Hope you will come by and visit and thanks for stopping by this blog. Be blessed. -Kris

Results of My 4th Cornrow Attempt on Z's #Naturalhair

I did my 4th set of cornrows on Zakiah's the weekend before last. I banded her hair the night before to help stretch her hair without the use of heat. The results of the banding can be found in this postI decided to try something a little different from the straight back look and went with the diagonal cornrows. The results are on the left.

One issue I have been having is the fuzziness of her braids. During my previous cornrowing attempts, I thought tension had a huge factor in the outcome of that issue. I tried to add just a little more tension to see if that would help but it was to no avail. Plus, I was not comfortable with pulling her hair tight just to get neater cornrows. That would defeat the purpose of protective styling.


As I was braiding and unbraiding and braiding some sections over again, I dawned on me that the key to reducing frizz involved keeping the fingers as close to the scalp as possible. I tried this several times and it really made a difference! In addition to that, I did not have to pull her hair as tightly anymore. Actually, keeping my fingers close and not using as much tension allowed me to achieve a fuller cornrow look. An exciting revelation! I am learning more and more about the cornrowing technique. :)

My goal was to do her entire head but after 2.5 hours just to get the top half done, I called it a day and put her loose hair in a puff. Here are a couple more pictures of Zakiah's cornrows going into a puff. This style only lasted for 4 days.



I still need to work on starting her cornrows. They are not as tight as I would like them to be because I am not braiding enough stitches first before going right into picking up hair into the cornrow. But nevertheless, I am improving.

Here is what I have learned so far:
  • It is better to cornrow on clean stretched out hair
  • Keeping the fingers low help reduce some of the frizziness and create more uniform braids
  • I do not have to braid her hair tight to achieve a neater look.
  • Less tension = fuller cornrows
  • Underhand = cornrow; Overhand = french braid
  • Add hair to the middle section only

Things I still need to work on:

  • Starting off her cornrows so they would look more defined and not loose
  • Getting the cornrowing pattern locked in my head so I am not constantly thinking about which way the strands go and where to pick up the hair into the cornrow
  • Grabbing smaller sections of hair at a time as I move down the row
  • Underhand fingering position that is comfortable for me
This is all I can think of now. I probably will not try again until the end of this week so stay tuned! :)

Let me know what you think! Getting better? Encouragement and constructive criticism are always welcomed! :)

2 comments: