Hi There!

Welcome to my blog! This space has been used over the past several years to document mainly my natural hair journey and several different aspects of my life such as spiritual matters, my jewelry design, and parenting. I will from time to time post on this blog but my newly revamped blog can be found at BeautifullyCurled.com. Here you will find much recent updates about my hair journey along with my daughter's and so much more. Hope you will come by and visit and thanks for stopping by this blog. Be blessed. -Kris

Turning Back the Hands of Time: Transitioning Hairstyles


Looking back through some of my old albums from 2003-04, I am fully aware that my transitioning hairstyles were not as elaborate as those you would find on YouTube, hair social networks, and natural hair blogs today. You all have so many more resources now about the process of transitioning and many different hairstyles one could possibly try during their transition. Better yet, there exist now a plethora of video hair tutorials, which have been very instrumental to many on their journeys including me in the recent years on YouTube. It has been so awesome seeing how the natural hair community has grown tremendously over the past 7 years. It makes me feel older because YouTube was not even out when I decided to transition from relaxed to natural hair.

Nevertheless, with the few resources I did have back in 2003-04 such as online hair albums, I did manage to generate enough hairstyle options to get me through 11 months of transitioning. My signature style was the curl rod set on the back half of the hair with the front half in some type of design or flat twisted. In addition to curl rod sets, I wore microbraids, kinky twist extensions, and wigs during this time as well as alternative low manipulation styles. These styling options helped me get through the ruts experienced over the course of my transitioning phase by reducing some of the frustration of dealing with multiple textures simultaneously. If I had the option to do it all over again, I really believe I could have transitioned longer because of the information that exists today. Transitioning is much more than hairstyling, but how you handle you hair while washing and detangling. But at the end of the day, I managed with what I had and successfully got through the process with what resources I had.

Here are a few pictures from my transition:



These were taken in July 2003 when I first decided to go natural. To view pictures of my entire transitional phase, please visit: Pictures During Transition March 2003-February 2004

No comments:

Post a Comment