Hi There!

Welcome to my blog! This space has been used over the past several years to document mainly my natural hair journey and several different aspects of my life such as spiritual matters, my jewelry design, and parenting. I will from time to time post on this blog but my newly revamped blog can be found at BeautifullyCurled.com. Here you will find much recent updates about my hair journey along with my daughter's and so much more. Hope you will come by and visit and thanks for stopping by this blog. Be blessed. -Kris

My Pre-Poo Experience Using Shea Moisture Products

Hair saturated with conditioner

Since I had my stretched fro out this weekend, I decided to do a pre-poo to kind of help cut through a lot of the tangles in my hair. I received a tip from a subscriber to try the Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque as a pre-poo and then shampoo and condition as usual.  So yesterday, I SLATHERED a lot of the masque throughout my hair to make sure it is fully saturated because I had a lot of tangles from wearing my fro out.  In addition, I added some of the Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner on top of the masque.  The Restorative Conditioner is creamy but not as thick as my staple conditioner, the Giovanni Smooth As Silk Deeper Moisture Conditioner.  I cannot do a full review of the Restorative Conditioner until I use it separate as a conditioner after shampooing my hair.

How long did I leave the masque and conditioner in my hair?


Loose waves defined

Initially, I was only going to leave the masque and conditioner in my hair for an hour.  Well life took over yesterday evening so I ultimately gathered all my hair into a very loose ponytail, spritzed the ponytail with some water, placed a plastic bag over the ponytail and then my satin bonnet over the plastic bag, AND tied a satin scarf over my entire head. Whew! Seems like a lot, huh? So I ended up sleeping with the masque and conditioner in my head overnight.


Well, talk about a greasy face this morning!  However, my hair was so soft and moisturized. The dryness from having my hair out this weekend was definitely gone.  At this point, the masque WITH the conditioner MIGHT be on to something.  I am not definite yet.  I don't like the greasiness of the masque. ::shrugs::

I washed the masque and conditioner out my hair and the tangles were a breeze to get out.  I must keep note that IF I ever have the crazy notion to wear my fro out ever again that I must pre-poo first! However, I feel like this step would be quite instrumental when it comes to detangling an old twist out or any other stretched out style that has gotten tangled with age (in days of course...lol).

I preceded with the usual routine after washing the masque and condition out: sectioned my hair into four sections, shampooed with the Shea Moisture Moisture Retention Shampoo (love!!!), conditioned with the Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deeper Moisture, and detangled each section with my modified Denman brush. 

Surprisingly, I did not lose much hair at all during the detangling process so I am happy with that.  After, I got out the shower, I applied the Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie to each (damp) section, distributed it with my Denman brush, separated each section into two small sections, and braided each of the sections ending up with 8 braids.


8 box braids and a small flat twisted section in the front
 I was going to do a bantu knot out but honestly, I am tired of wearing my own hair out right now. *GASPS* There is a lot going on right now in my life: school, parenting, wedding planning, and such.  Plus my 6 month protective styling challenge starts on Sunday (around the corner...wow!) so I just want to take it easy this week to prep for that.  So I decided to simply wear my trusty wig.

Solange by Sensational (lacefront from blackhairspray.com)
 Solange by Sensational has been so great to me! I have worn her for over 3 months I know for sure and she still looks good to me with the frizz and all! I still would like a new wig for the warmer months but if I have to fall back on Solange, I know she won't let me down.

Overall, doing the pre-poo step is definitely something I would like to implement in my regimen for detangling my stretched out styles. Not sure if I would like to use the same products.  I probably can get the same detangling benefits using other products as well.  I will just have to do some experimenting.  I have seen women simply use oils for their pre-poos so I can definitely keep that in mind in the future.

But as long as I keep my hair in braids or twisted from wash day to wash day, there is really no need for me to add the step of pre-pooing since my hair is pretty much detangled.

Well, this is my thought about doing a pre-poo. I would like to hear from you.

Do you pre-poo?
If so, what products do you use?
Do you pre-poo overnight or right before you shampoo?

Thanks for reading my experience! Hope you have a blessed day. 

BE.YOU.Always!

2 comments:

  1. i pre-poo with vatika oil or coconut oil with a little giovanni 50/50 conditioner. sometimes i use hello hydration if i have a lot of tangles. I usually pre-poo overnite just because my tangles are usually too many to tackle before a shampoo..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still can't believe Solange is a wig. It just looks like an old rollerset or twistout on you!

    ReplyDelete